Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Food Dehydrator

We just got a food dehydrator in our house.  I'd been reading about all the things you can do with one, not just drying herbs and whatnot.  You can, of course, dry your own herbs.  But you can also dry vegetables, fruit, beef jerky.  You can dry soaked grains and nuts.  You can make yogurt.  It's great for letting bread dough rise, and I'm sure there are lots of other things I'm not aware of.

We gave ours a test run with some banana chips.  They don't need any pre-treatment, other than a little spritz of lemon juice to keep them from discoloring.  And even that's not necessary, it's just for looks.

I got my bananas with some green on them.  I sliced up 4 bananas, which filled about 3 trays in the dehydrator.  They dried for about 8 hours, and they were done.  About 2/3 of a quart jar.  And yum!  Very concentrated flavor.

I can't wait to try some yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails