Friday, June 25, 2010

Food Journey, Part Two



We have a good farmer's market in our area that's open 3 days a week.  We've been pretty regular customers for the past few weeks.  We've found the prices on vegetables and fruits to be very reasonable, and we've tried a few new recipes as a result of our shopping.  I'll admit it does take a bit more thought and planning to eat more seasonally and locally, but I can say we've enjoyed it so far!  Several things are becoming more of a habit and not so "new." 



Eliminate Processed Foods -
So right now we're still cutting out more and more processed foods.  I'm planning to have a go at making my own mayonnaise.  I'm really trying to eliminate the high fructose corn syrup.

We've been eating our own homemade yogurt!  (More about that in another post.)  Snacks are usually fruit and/or granola.

Switch to Whole Grains -
Haven't gotten very far on this one.  I'd love to work on my own bread making, because let me tell you, it needs help.  Every batch of bread dough I've made so far is so sticky it's not even funny.  Must have more practice!

Switch to Raw Dairy -
We're making some progress here.  I bought some raw cheese a couple of weeks ago.  So far, no raw milk.  We do have a local dairy that sells pasteurized milk from grass-fed, pastured cows.  And you can buy raw goat's milk here in Arkansas (directly from the farmer) but I haven't gotten up the nerve to try that yet.  Who knows....we may love it!  Raw cow's milk is sold as "pet milk" here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails